it’s not that harry potter are necessarily bad books
they’re a lot better than many out there and if we’re going to do the twilight/hp thing i’d of course pick hermione, ginny and luna as role models for my daughter than bella swan because stephanie meyer seems to actively hate women whereas rowling seems to just not care/is unaware of how little attention she pays (internalized sexism? maybe, or maybe just poor writing)
it’s just that they’re by no means perfect
she has a decent premise but there was so much more she could have done
- what about ron’s strategizing
- what about dean thomas
- what about the fact that harry grew up in a cupboard because uh she never really deals with it and i find it hard to believe that the abuse he suffered affects a person so little
- what about hermione’s EVERYTHING we know her parents are dentists and uh…. that’s it basically
- what about ginny who fought a goddamn war during camping: the novel
- in fact
- camping: the novel: WHY
- saying post-book dumbledore was gay doesn’t mean shit because it’s what in the books that matters, not your interviews
- give me more background on every character in the book, lady
- i want to rewrite the books with some hardcore editing because they could be really great despite the brave white male/smart female/everyman male friend main character main cast
- NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM
- mrs. weasley
- i always thought hermione was black. js. basically TELL US THINGS ABOUT HERMIONE. anything. anything.
- malfoys. regulus and sirius and andromeda and bella and narcissa. MITFORDS.
- redemptive arc for draco?? she basically set it up/set up internality for him in book six, possibly more than we ever got for, say, hermione or ginny, and then dropped the plotline.
- sirius and harry’s relationship - please show don’t tell
- the marauders were teenage assholes. please do something with this. possibly tie it into draco’s redemptive arc and compare/contrast with james and snape.
- ron weasley
- do something with him
- he is one of your main characters
- also hermione
- she is the main girl
- also ginny and neville. GINNY. AND. NEVILLE.
#i have become really bitter about hp now that i’m not 15
Also the whole World War III aspect of Voldemort’s takeover. Does the US wizarding government or any other wizarding government not find this Hitler stand-in a threat to like the entire world? Why is the fate of wizarding England left in the hands of schoolchildren? Where are all the queer witches and wizards? Do non-Western countries have spells that don’t have romance language roots? Is Hogwarts really all that? What about wizarding schools in Dubai or Dakar or Jakarta? Why is England the center of the world? It’s not the 17th century anymore. C’mon, son. Get it together.
Yes! Like, I was always confused on the whole international deal when it came to Voldemort’s raise to power. I do not believe for one moment that no one at least in rest in Europe that did not think he posed a threat to their Wizarding communities. Also did any other Wizarding community withdraw from the “Muggle society” or was it strictly a British thing. What about Brit wizards and witches need to infantilize Muggle society when they are more technologically advance and able to take care of its own. I mean, never liked how they kept Muggle England, etc in the dark regarding Voldemort and his crew. They are attacking them through spells and the sort but they cannot defend themselves because suddenly they cannot be trust? Didn’t JKR say that they didn’t go separate ways until, like, the 1700s.
I also didn’t think she tackled the whole race deal will enough too. She had all these parallels to the Holocaust and slavery but she never properly followed through. Like, the thing with the house elves and SPEW. Basically that storyline ended with “Well, slavery is a-okay if the slaves like their masters”, which LOL k. And please do not tell me racism was replaced with the whole blood purity bullshit too. Did Dean have issues cause he is black? How about Cho Chang being Asian? And, speaking of Cho, WHY THE FUCK WAS SHE VILLANIZED FOR BEING SAD ABOUT HER BOYFRIEND’S MURDER AND STICKING UP FOR HER FRIENDS? I do not understand how people say “Harry Potter taught me about tolerance” when everything that could have been a teaching lesson was never followed through or happened offscreen. I will always be bitter over the pat on the back people give her for making Dumbledore gay when it was never textual in the book. Just reminded ~subtext and it didn’t happen until the last book. Seriously? Am I supposed to celebrate that and why did everyone’s happy ending came with lots of children, etc? Meh.
Forever bitter about the way Cho was shafted after the fifth book, just because she stuck up for Marietta, who may have done something wrong, but had a shitty prank pulled on her by Hermione and needed someone when everyone else hated her. It wasn’t even Cho’s fault, man. She was just being loyal to her best friend.
Plus JK Rowling loves to write characters like Lavender and Pansy as completely one dimensional, shrieking, sneering, silly schoolgirls, because she was bullied when she was younger. That’s really sad, Jo, but when none of the girls in Harry Potter are allowed to be feminine or properly hang out with one another (as opposed to being best friends with the boys) without being a source of ridicule or disdain, then there’s a problem.
AND AGAIN FOR EVEN MORE YES THIS
- PETER FUCKING PETTIGREW - yes, that is his middle name now
This kid, this nerdy reject of a boy, gets into Gryffindor. Maybe the Sorting Hat put him there because he ASKED to be place there, because he wanted so desperately to be placed in the same House as James and Sirius and Remus, the cool boys from the train. But even IF Pettigrew, who turned out to be a coward/survivalist had been better suited to another house and the Sorting Hat put him in Gryffindor simply because he asked for it, he STILL would have grown up around a HOUSE FULL OF GRYFFINDORS, who would have been a huge influence on him and taught him how to be a goddamn Gryffindor, i.e. NOT to sell out his BEST FRIENDS to Voldemort.
I simply do not understand HOW Peter Pettigrew, the misfit who nevertheless became a Marauder, went from being the Secret Keeper for one of his BEST FRIENDS to becoming a Death Eater, a transition SO FUCKING IMPORTANT because it led directly to Harry becoming THE CHOSEN ONE.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN. JKR, I AM LOOKING AT YOU.
- kissfistthat likes this
- poseyboo reblogged this from initiatingslutmode
- wickedsound likes this
- crackinthecloud reblogged this from demarches
- rachelblairy likes this
- werewolfhugs likes this
- scarredvines reblogged this from demarches
- scarredvines likes this
- jjenah reblogged this from asapdothraki
- holothuroid likes this
- unbrokencircle reblogged this from tranzient and added:
- commucunt reblogged this from egadsy
- hellotheremaryrose reblogged this from fearknot
- yougetshotgun reblogged this from -redux and added:
- windfalling reblogged this from -redux
- spynasty reblogged this from -redux and added:
- media-vita likes this
- eyelid-movies reblogged this from -redux
- spynasty likes this
- falulatonks likes this
- -redux reblogged this from demarches
- undisturbed likes this
- kellsbellz reblogged this from kassafras and added:
- digitalmeowmix likes this
- the-cyclopes-are-watching likes this
- notjezibaba likes this
- evanblaisewalsh likes this
- fouronesix likes this
- theoceanblooms likes this
- elfieatlanticx reblogged this from ikarishinjis and added:
- thisasthat reblogged this from initiatingslutmode
- vita-dulcis likes this
- shjaron likes this
- madstatler likes this
- madstatler reblogged this from lathyrism and added:
- araelia likes this
- knifeplay likes this
- superhumangirl likes this
- kassafras reblogged this from initiatingslutmode
- lebanesepoppyseed reblogged this from gematriya and added:
- glasskaleidoscope likes this
- boredsincebirth likes this
- dad-rock-davos reblogged this from gerutha and added:
- coyotelips reblogged this from stilestilinskis and added:
- 3of5 likes this
- si-dramatic likes this
- winecupwars likes this
- thencanisay likes this
- jackiestlouis likes this